Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Your True Self 2

Defining yourself. Your true self. John the Baptist was not apprehensive in defining his true self. He stated the facts, " I am 'The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Make straight the way of the Lord."' John 1:23. The cause of such boldness and confidence within John the Baptist could be the sum of many known truths that John accepted.

He accepted the fact that he was given authority to "make straight the way." He knew his assignment and went forth in his calling and purpose. In order for you or for me to become our true selves, we must fulfill our assignments and go forth in our callings and purposes. John walked in his given authority and his actions showed his acceptance of this authority. Like John, we too have been given authority. Jesus calls his disciples together in Luke 9:1 and gives them "power and authority over all demons, and to cure all diseases." We, too, are His disciples and have power and authority over all the enemy.

This means we don't have to accept in our lives what is not of God. We have authority over our thoughts, our actions and behaviors, and over every minute of every day. You and I have been given the authority to cast down any thought that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. We are commanded to do so in 2 Cor. 10:5. You and I have the authority to say no. This is a truth that took me years to accept and apply. If the action I am performing or the thought I am pondering is unlike God, then I have the authority to change it. I use the authority given to me by Jesus to say, no! I will not behave in such a manner and I will choose the mind of Christ!
(Phil. 2:5) If you and I define ourselves by any other definition then that of God's, then our thoughts are exalting themselves against the knowledge of God and we are commanded by Him to cast them down. We take authority over our thoughts.

We were given authority for the edification of the Body of Christ, 2 Cor. 10:8. John the Baptist may have felt very unqualified to be the voice bearing witness of the coming Messiah. If he had lacked confidence and had not fulfilled his purpose, then many individuals of that day would not have known of the coming Light of Life. The lack of confidence in our lives will keep us hindered and our purposes will not be fulfilled. The Body of Christ will not receive its proper edification. The confidence killer? Condemnation. If our heart does not condemn us then we have confidence toward God, 1 John 3:21. If we are lacking confidence then we must ask ourselves,and God, in what area are we living in condemnation? The Holy Spirit will speak very clearly to you, as He did me, the area of your life where you are still dealing with condemnation.

It has been a blessing to speak into you this evening. I pray you are on a continual path of discovering your true self!

You have authority in Jesus Christ my friends! Take that authority and Be Confident!

No comments:

Post a Comment