Friday, November 19, 2010

A Call to Repentance

I was thinking today about the word (or idea) that is going forth into the congregation of which I am a connected. The word is relationship. The idea is relationship leads to desperation and that desperation leads to revival. When I hear the word revival, many thoughts come to mind. I think of energetic services where people are uninhibited in their praise. I think of excitement and enthusiasm and people passionate for the things of God. And I think of what it will take to bring revival into my life and into the lives of those around me. I truly wonder how many people are willing to pay the price in order to receive revival in their lives. Or is there a price to pay?

Often times when I hear the word revival it is followed by a well known scripture from Joel that states, "And it shall come to pass afterward That I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. And I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth..." Joel 2:28-30

Verse 28 begins with these words, "And it shall come to pass afterward..."

After what?

To find that answer we must look back to verse 12 in that same chapter. It states, "Now, therefore," says the Lord, "Turn to me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the Lord your God..."

It is a call to repentance. Anytime we are turning to the Lord, we are turning away from ourselves. We choose Him, His thoughts, and His ways. God is asking us to turn to Him with all our hearts. It's so easy to say He has all my heart when in reality He does not. I have to ask myself what I truly spend most of my time doing, what are my loves, and how do I spend my money? That will give me a good idea of what my heart is truly set upon.

The scripture also states we turn to Him with fasting, weeping, and mourning. True repentance is not merely an outward demonstration, but an inward heartrending brokenness for our sins. True repentance leads to holiness. Weeping and mourning will come as we cry out for His mercy and forgiveness after realizing our desperate need for salvation. We turn our hearts to Him and He pours out His Spirit upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment